I feel like I have twenty projects started but nothing quite finished! Please tell me I'm not the only distracted DIY-er. We've been really busy over here, and its been a lot of fun but ready to tie a few of these things up! We finally settled on a paint color for our family room & hallway (the latter still needs to be painted). We chose Edgecomb Gray by BM and continued Popcorn White by MS for trimwork (Luke's room & bathroom also sport this color). Square footage wise over half our house is newly painted, two years later, but still very much enjoyed! We still need to paint the hallway (but at least the color is chosen!), our bedroom and the kitchen.
Flip-flopping on colors continues for the kitchen and our bedroom. But we'll get there. The first two photos are before painting, the third shows our subtle but refreshing new wall color!
Family room painting all started with a new lamp shade. I've been feeling an urge to go more into the blue tones in this room, so I started with replacing our very red & yellow lampshade. Hidden and hoarded pillow covers came out of the closet and then I was ready to make a paint color commitment! I've also had a few of those crown molding style picture shelves in hiding, and I am playing with arrangement for that big wall. In addition, I'm painting our picture frames white.
LOVING the blues.
But oh yeah, here's the coat rack.
I've (also) had these knobs for a while, waiting for the perfect spot. I originally thought they'd go on a dresser drawer revival. I picked them up when a nearby Pier1 was doing a remodeling sale, so they were $0.80 each! SCORE. Cody cut a three foot long 1x4 and I painted it with Dusty Miller by Glidden.
Once dried, Cody jumped right into helping me calculate the ideal spacing, we settled on six knobs, 3" apart. He made perfectly pre-drilled holes for the knobs and halfway drilled the back for flush sitting washers. I'm sure there's more technical terms for this, but it never occurred to me that the washer would impede on a nice flush mount to the wall. Once everything was secure, he snipped off the excess length of each knob and leveled it out on the wall. He even filled the screw heads holding it to the wall with wood putty & touched up the paint. Lucky girl right here. We hung it at 5' off the floor. High enough for his jackets, but also low enough for (eventual) art hanging above.
I usually choose brushed nickel for hardware finishes, but I might let this little bit of brass slide under the radar. For now, I'm really loving our more functional entryway!
And then there's this little guy.. It was a floor/wall heater. We never used it or connected it underneath the house, so it was (fairly) easy to pull out. Just big and bulky and awkward. So now we have sheetrock and hardwood floor patching to keep us busy this weekend. All in all, it just feels so good to be working on the house together so I can handle empty walls and a jerry-rigged plywood floor! Luke thinks his new little passageway is pretty fun though, we might just keep it open as a kiddie door. Joking. It's blocked off with dining chairs :)