Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Luke's Pinwheel Quilt Top

A while back I began and finished this quilt top, originally intended to be flying geese actually. I didn't take into account the orientation of the stripes in my cutting and sewing of HSTs so the multi-directional effect on the flying geese pattern just wasn't going to work for me! After playing around with what I had, I settled on a pinwheel pattern instead. And now months later, its still just a twin size quilt top waiting to be finished.

Breakdown: I used sheets and pillowcases I had gathered from thrift shops in varied red/white/blue stripes and one blue twin size sheet. Using a 6" square, each quadrant of the pinwheel was made using the HST method. I really like this method! But next time I won't use a directional print. Lesson learned! The quilt top is 5 columns and 7 rows of pinwheels (35 total and 140 total HSTs).

I'm torn between using it as a duvet cover instead of a traditional quilt. Luke isn't ready for a big boy bed yet but if he were to use it as his main bedding, a duvet is much easier to wash than a full quilt. But a nice warm quilt is unbeatable. Torn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment