Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Stuffed Mushrooms

Personally, I'm not a fan of mushrooms. But Cody and my father-in-law are, so I tried out a recipe for them. I do, however, like to make an appetizer that I don't care for when going to a party or potluck event because then it's one less temptation to over-stuff myself with. Environmental control. I 'followed' this recipe, mainly just to get an idea of flavors to go into the stuffing. You will need cream cheese (softened), garlic, onion, cayenne, parmesan cheese and mushrooms.


After cutting and chopping the stems off the mushrooms, I browned them with garlic, onion, black pepper and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper. This photo shows 1/2 onion, several tablespoons of garlic and chopped stems of 24ish mushrooms.



This mixture was added to the cream cheese (16 oz) and about a cup of shredded parmesan. This mush went into the mushroom caps and were baked for 20 minutes.



I'm not sure if they needed more baking time (didn't want the tops to burn!) but the bottoms of the caps were a bit moist, so I layered a paper towel between them and the serving platter. I went a little over board with my filling and the mushroom caps were quite lopsided and overflowing. Luckily, they guys still loved them, so I guess it's a recipe safe for you to try! Oh, I also had leftover stuffing, which turned out to be a good chip dip. 
Two-in-One!

Anyone else make appetizer's they don't like for the sake of eating less at a gathering? And what would those appetizers be?






No comments:

Post a Comment