I've begun to keep the glass jars from jam, pickles, wheat germ, wine...you get the idea, for something. I'm not quite sure what yet, they seem like the perfect blank canvas and I can't bear to throw them out! Just do a thorough cleaning and soap soak to get the smell out of the jar--especially if it was a pickle jar! Then let it sit in water to easily remove the label. There's so many things you can do with those things! Here are some of the ideas I've been daydreaming of:
1. Use the jar to store your own jam or home-made pickles, etc.
2. Candle holders--drop a tealight or votive inside for rustic lighting.
3. Cover the lids of the jars with paper or fabric and use for visible storgage--think dry kitchen items, office supplies, buttons, cotton balls and safety pins!
4. Fit the lid for a soap pump.
5. Use it as a vase, you could also paint the inside of the jar for a solid or patterned custom vase.
6. Photo holder--slide a photo to fit inside the curve of the jar.
7. Drinking glasses, just like a your favorite BBQ restaurant.
8. Utensil holder, use a large one for cooking utensils or smaller one for forks/spoons for your next backyard party.
One of these days I will get around to making a few of these to share with you, for now I will just keep on collecting and hiding them in the cupboard!