Monday, January 30, 2012

Button Jewelry

After waiting almost a full month, my earring and ring backings finally arrived! I purchased two bags of vintage-style buttons from Micheal a few months ago because they just spoke jewelry to me. After hunting around for a good deal on earring and ring backings/bases I finally ordered some through Etsy. But since I ordered internationally, the shipping took foooorrrreeeeevvvveeerrrrr. 14 business days = 3 weeks! Checking the mailbox everyday really gets old fast. I felt like a kid waiting for my birthday party. So when my package finally arrived I got to work right away and managed to remember to take a few pictures on my phone for ya!



I used wire cutters to snip off the backings of my buttons-soon-to-be-earrings/ring. And I had to sand down the nubs so the backings would be flush together for optimal glue strength.



I'm not sure yet if Krazy glue is the best for gluing plastic and metal. So I'm going to wear these non-stop, partially to test them and also to make up for lost time. I've been so anxious to add these beauties to my wardrobe. I want to add a pair to those purple velvety flats I picked up earlier in the month too. I just, for some reason, get all anxious over which buttons to sew on. Like it's this horribly permanent decision. I mean just a little snip and I can replace the button. Not sure what my problem is here. Maybe I should make button shoe clips! Maybe wearing my new earrings will help calm me down....


UPDATE: So Krazy is glue is totally not strong enough/right for the job. My ring lasted 2 hours and my earings are broken after 1 day. Back to the drawing board...hope to have better news soon!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog because, well, you're girly, and I'm not. :) It is neat to see what you get excited about and the projects you work on. My bff Jenny who is also my SIL is very girly too, always has the outfit that goes together and the hair & makeup done. You guys are just cool like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! Yes, I am a girly-girl. I try and have the best of both worlds, I'll go camping and play in the dirt, but I do love me some high heels & pearls :) I try to pick simple clothes & colors and then one or two (sometimes three!) fun accessories or accents. Just layer what feels natural to you. If you don't feel good about what you're wearing, its not worth it. And confidence in yourself wears better than any outfit (you, in particular always look great because I always see you smiling)!!

    ReplyDelete