Monday, September 5, 2011

DIY Sun Dried (aka Baked) Tomatoes

If you're anything like me, or any other human being, your tomatoes often go bad before you've gotten the chance to use them. I've learned and begun to keep them on the counter at room temperature and this helps to prolong their life. But even this isn't always foolproof. But never fear, Martha Stewart inspired me to try and save the day soft tomatoes! Here is my version of Baked Tomatoes (it wasn't a full on recipe in the September magazine, more like one of those reader comment things, so I don't have a link for ya).

Slice tomatoes as thin as possible, which won't be all that thin since soft tomatoes and particularly sketchy to slice thin.
Sprinkle with crushed red pepper (optional, but not really).
Bake at 250' for just about 2 hours. 
They scrunch up quite a bit during the baking/drying process, so you may want to do two batches simultaneously. 
Let them cool a bit before removing from your cookie sheet. Best if used day-of or within 3 or so days of baking. I stored one batch in the fridge for 2 days and they still tasted fab. I added mine to home-made pizza (which I didn't get a picture of before everyone dug in and demolished the pretty pizza). But they would also be a great addition to any salad or pasta dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment