Friday, September 9, 2011

Foolproof DIY Fabric

In my fabric collecting (the first step in gaining confidence to use my sewing machine) I have stumbled upon a really fun website (spoonflower.com) where you can design your own fabric! You can use paint, or photo-shop if you have those skills/coordination, photos or scan in artwork/doodles. You can order your creation in a variety of sizes and fabric weights. Since I am not particularly artistic, I'm somewhat limited to photos and water-coloring. Water-coloring is one of those rare art techniques where you don't have to have crazy skills to make a decent piece. See what I mean?

(found here)

(found here)

This is water coloring with crayons! The how-to is linked through my Pinterest page.

Love this! (also on Pinterest)

Wouldn't these make for some fun fabric for pillows, bedding, small upholstering jobs...

Now for photos printed on fabric, I'm imagining memory quilts of either events, vacations, good old family photos or even to preserve your children's artwork. Or what about making a fabric baby book with pictures of fruits, vegetables, animals, etc? For these projects I would order in the fat quarter size for easy(ier) quilt/book assembly.


(found here)

(found here)

(found here)

(found here)

Well, that's it for dreamland. Must be nice to be able to do/have time for fun things like this. Maybe someday...






No comments:

Post a Comment