Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Oatmeal & Charcoal

Every few months (or weeks, just depends) I get mildly obsessed with a certain color scheme for the home. I've fallen in love with turquoise, yellow, reds, blues & sea-glass and then back to all neutrals, all alone or in some combination of two (or more!). My problem is, I just can't settle on one for sure. Now I know this isn't exactly a heartbreaking issue since I don't really have a house to execute these dreams into, but when I do get the death grip on one I want to have a sure plan on what I like and what I don't. Because when you know what you're looking for you can really zone in on the prize and find amazing deals. I think its important for a home to have flow with its colors and not be too choppy with bedroom and bathroom colors. So something that would work equally well in a fun future children's bedrooms is a must. So I've finally solved my dilemma (at least for now...), I want a versatile neutral backdrop that I can swap out colorful accessories into. And of course lots and lots of texture within those neutrals. In the inevitable process of me over-thinking everything, I been thinking about how this would be functional throughout the year, like timing accent colors with the holidays. I know, I'm nuts. But that's why I started this blog, because I will literally explode if I couldn't get up in the middle of the night and write down ideas and dream. So back to my logic:

January-red (or see December below..)
February-pinks & reds
March-pinks & yellows
April-yellow & green
May-green & blue
June- blue
July-red & blue (the patriotic month!)
August-red & yellow
September- orange & yellow
October-orange & plum (like a deep, deeeep purple?)
November-orange & red, maybe some more plum?
December- red & more metallics*
(although the green & blue Christmas color schemes are totally adorbs, so this is semi-undecided, good thing I have time...)

*Metallics will ALWAYS be a part of my decor. I love shiny things...and white, lots of white.

So I would use a rotation of these colors through probably mostly throw pillows & blankets, towels, chargers & platters on the table...I think you know I can find a way. Plus, I have TONS of Coca-Cola stuff, so red will kind of always be around. So what am I putting these colorful objects on? A backdrop of Oatmeal & Charcoal. Here are some of the long term pieces you can't necessarily swap out on a whim.....
KARLSTAD Sofa and chaise lounge, Isunda gray, chrome plated
I've long been a lover of this couch series, and the new(er) gray is fun, although I'm not quite sold on the chrome legs. And I have to admit, Mr. Kivik is making Karlstad work for my favor. These two colors below are really drawing me in.

KIVIK Loveseat and chaise lounge, Tullinge gray-brown Max. width: 110 1/4 " Min. depth: 37 3/8 " Max. depth: 64 1/8 " Height: 32 5/8 " Min. seat depth: 23 5/8 " Max. seat depth: 48 7/8 " Seat height: 17 3/4 "  Max. width: 280 cm Min. depth: 95 cm Max. depth: 163 cm Height: 83 cm Min. seat depth: 60 cm Max. seat depth: 124 cm Seat height: 45 cm
Gray-brown! A greige couch...!!!
KIVIK Loveseat and chaise lounge, Tenö light gray Width: 110 1/4 " Depth: 64 1/8 " Height: 32 5/8 " Seat width: 90 1/2 " Min. seat depth: 23 5/8 " Max. seat depth: 48 7/8 " Seat height: 17 3/4 "  Width: 280 cm Depth: 163 cm Height: 83 cm Seat width: 230 cm Min. seat depth: 60 cm Max. seat depth: 124 cm Seat height: 45 cm
Then there's the never fail light & airy gray here..


Parachute Duvet Cover + Shams- Feather Gray
How yummy is this duvet??!! And with some sparkly accent pillows. Ahhhh...

Recycled Denim Jute Rug
Now this rug has a bit more blue, but its recycled denim! GAH! I LOVE DENIM!! And the Oatmeal colored threading ties it into my theme. Maybe I can find a way to DIY this too.
Keira Braided Handle Baskets | World Market
I love baskets, and these ones with braided handles are so fun!
Just to round things out, here are some inspirational rooms that I would like to shoot for, all from Pinterest (of course)!
Two shower curtains?  Why didn't I think of that?!  It looks so elegant.

this living room is fantastic! colors, coffee table, open flow...

how fun are these colors?

Coffee table!! And pretty much the whole room is awesome too!

comfy & fresh

living room

I'd like to play with replacing all those white couches with one the fabulous gray ones I shared above. I feel like the coolness of charcoal/gray and the warmth of oatmeal really balance each other out. It's earthy and spa like, but gives a great platform for some (more dare I say) modern pieces mixed into antiquey/vintage finds as well. I think I may be crossing over into liking a little bit of modern. Wow.





No comments:

Post a Comment