Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Spice up Your Chili!

Chili is my all-time favorite meal to cook & eat. It's super filling, great for leftovers and really difficult to not cook correctly. Everytime I make it, its a bit different because I make it up as I go along. Honestly, that is the BEST way to cook. Just sprinkle (or dump!) a bit of this and a bit of that and let it all simmer and blend. Ok so one thing is always the same, my base is always tomato sauce. I've made a list of the add-ins I've tried for you to browse and experiment with yourself. Enjoy!


Vary your meats (ground/shredded turkey, chicken beef, stew steak, pork) 
Different types of beans (red/white kidney, black, garbanzo, pinto)
Garlic
Onion
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper
Vinegar
Worchester
Molasses
Corn kernals
Chopped carrott
Hot sauce (Tapatio or Cholula are pretty awesome)
For toppings sour cream, shredded cheese and chopped onion are mandatory, in my house at least. If you want to get 'real fancy' prepare baked potatoes too. But the ultimate compliment to  your chili is cornbread. I always use tried and true Alber's cornmeal mix and recipe. In which case you gotta have honey or some good jam on hand. Enjoy your (almost) one pot meal! And I'm always curious to see what else I can try with my chili so leave me a suggestion!

P.S. We are hittin' the road Thursday morning! So my post "schedule" as it has been is totally up in the air. Stay tuned for updates on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment